An Earth-Friendly and Unique Carpet Choice
Sisal carpet is growing in popularity in the greater Kennesaw, Georgia area because of its rustic look and its earth-friendliness. The carpets are made from the fibers of a cactus-like plant called Agave sisalana native to the Yucatan Peninsula, but also grown throughout South America and Africa. Once the leaves are cut, the fibers are extracted. These fibers are cut, dried, and treated to produce a twine-like fiber that can then be woven into rugs and carpeting. Just like other carpet fibers like hemp and coir, sisal provides durability that most manmade materials can’t match. Sisal carpets have a unique texture which doesn’t show the wear patterns common in plush wall-to-wall carpeting.
Benefits of sisal carpet include:
- It’s naturally stain-resistant, so it doesn’t require any chemical treatments that may be harmful to children and pets.
- It repels dust and static electricity.
- It absorbs sound better than other carpeting material.
- It’s naturally flame-resistant.
- Sisal carpet fibers can be combined with other natural fibers such as wool or sea grass for increased durability.
However, you should also consider that:
- Sisal does not do well with moisture and should be avoided in a mudroom or bathroom.
- It may feel rough underfoot compared to traditional carpet materials, so it may not be best to sit or lie on for prolonged periods. It offers a unique massage-like experience
- Can be prone to color-fading especially with prolonged exposure to the sun.
Let the experts at Floor Coverings International of Kennesaw, Georgia help you find a sisal carpet that’s just right for you and your home. Contact us today to schedule your free in-home consultation. We proudly serve the greater Kennesaw, Marietta, and Woodstock areas.